Saturday, August 22, 2026

20" Muni Test and Trail Work

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am thinking about the possibility of moving my Schlumpf hub into a 20" wheel. The small wheel could be good for technical trail sections and climbing, and the high gear would boost its speed to about a 30" wheel for easier sections.

Today I brought my 24" muni and 20" 'trials' uni to Webster Park. The 20" uni already has a KH muni saddle on it, as that is more comfortable when Kessa or Sydney have ridden it in the neighborhood.

I did a particular loop on the 24" and then the 20". A few observations:

  • - The 20" did not give me instant superpowers at climbing hills, but there were a few other variables:

    •  - I am not used to this uni. I noticed as I climbed over roots and pulled up, I got more bounce over them which is probably good, but kind of surprised me. It tripped me up at least once.

    • - The pedals currently on that uni are flat plastic pedals, with no grippy pegs. This is bad for climbing steep hills with roots, and when needing to turn in different directions on those climbs. I slipped off and fell, lightly, once because of it.

  • - The 20" did not seem too slow in the trails, like it does on the road, but faster would be better for sure.

  • - The cranks are about 137 mm. These are slightly longer than what I learned was best for my Schlumpf shifting, which is 127 mm. Longer is likely an advantage for climbing, so would I lose any advantages if I has a Schlumpf and has to use 127 cranks? 
So it's not seeming to be a no-brainer for me. I may try again with the right pedals.

I did a third lap, bringing my folding saw and pruners. I removed some fallen trees on a less popular side trail that I like, and removed some encroaching branches here and there.

before

after

No comments:

Post a Comment