Sunday, September 18, 2011

Return to Dryer

It had been a while since I rode at the Dryer Road Mountain Bike Park (PDF trail map).  The last time was two months ago at the Fat Tire Festival.

I did well and rode longer that usual, making good progress on several hill climbs.  There's a short but steep hill on Epping Forest that's fairly rooty and has a bit of a step up in the middle.  I finally made it!  I also successfully climbed two of three hills on Chutes and Ladders.  The one I didn't make seems easier in terms of grade and distance, but has a log obstacle that's tough to get over during a climb.  On my two runs up Elevator, I UPD'ed as I hit the steepest section. On my second run I stepped back after my UPD and tried again, several times.  On my third attempt I made it!  I can't claim to have climbed Elevator in one run, but now I've climbed every part of it.  I just need to put it all together.

I've been using Kasha as my way up from the parking lot, and it tripped me up all three times today.  It actually seemed a bit shorter and easier than I remember, which I think means I'm making progress.   The steepest sections are riddled with rocks and sapling stumps that have been left since the trail was built and that's what caught me each time.  I think that was just bad luck.  I'll keep at it, but it also might be time to try some alternative routes again.

My knee was hurting as usual around the 5-7 mile mark.  I stopped several times and stretched my leg best I could.  That helped, but once I got home it was worse.  I keep stretching it, and it's getting better, but it's still frustrating.

As usual, with all the twists and turns at Dryer, my GPS track shows less than my cycle computer: about 7.5 miles versus 8.5 miles.

Muni at Dryer - 2011-09-18

No comments:

Post a Comment