Friday, August 14, 2026

Still not busted

 After my injuries from falling in April, and my efforts to get back into shape, I'm generally fit and strong. Unfortunately, some weeks back I did have another injury from overextending myself during weight workouts, and my right shoulder needed a lot of rest. I think it was a rotator cuff issue. It's still not 100% but much more tolerable. Not that my shoulders are critical to muni, but I didn't want another fall to injure it more.

Feeling strong enough at this point, I rode at Webster and Whiting today.

I felt a good combination of strength and stamina, but also a reminder than muni is tough. I had a successful technically short hill climbs that I know would trip of a lot of riders. I also had some heroic pushes and recoveries that impressed myself, but also plenty of trip ups that shouldn't have happened. I'm a bit rusty perhaps. I rode 5 miles.

I also stopped by Bauman's Farm Market to get some Pop's Peanut Brittle which is made by a past coworker and friend, Chris Wegman.

During my ride I was thinking about an idea I've had. With the falls I had in April on my geared 27.5, I'm not really excited about getting back to the fast life. Maybe I will, but I have another idea. Since I really like riding on the local trails with their short technically challenging hills, maybe I would enjoy a rather unorthodox setup: a geared 20" muni. Most of the time I would be in high gear, meaning about a 30" equivalent wheel. I know a 29'er would be great in most cases on trails, so this is good. And then for the steep hills and technical sections, I shift down and have a 20" wheel. That could make climbing easier. I'd likely convert my current geared 27.5 uni for this. The frame is big for a 20" wheel, but not really. It's just unnecessarily more legs than seat post. I'd need to buy a new 20" rim and to have the Schlumpf hub taken out of the 27.5 wheel, which is a bit of a shame. But it's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment