Saturday, February 19, 2011

Harris Whalen Park

Harris Whalen Park is a park in the town of Penfield that I drive by on my way to and from work. It's a small park, but it has a wooded area with trails that I've read about online. I've never read about this park being good for cycling, but wanted to check out the trails sometime.

Today some friends hosted a pig roast at Harris Whalen Park and my family and I attended. I used the opportunity to explore the trails. That plan made more sense when I made it a few weeks ago, because today was super windy and cold. But we came prepared, and after the party we hiked a bit.

The trails system is in a relatively small wooded area, but there are a number of trails and they intersect many times. The trails were covered with hard-pack and ice with a few inches of fresh snow from today. So I couldn't see the trail surface. But at first inspection, it looks like a place worth riding. We didn't encounter any super steep hills on our short hike, but there were a few longer ones that would probably be challenging.
I didn't see any "No Biking" signs. I did see colored trail markers painted on the trees which was very helpful on our hike.

Afterward, we walked over to the sledding hill. No one was there and we didn't have sleds. But the kids found that rolling down the hill was good fun. I joined in for a few laughs. Unfortunately all that rolling didn't sit well with Sydney after all the party food. We found that out the hard way on the drive home. Guess who got vomit cleanup duty when we got home. Yay! But enough about that, this is my muni blog.

Penfield has a trail map online. Using that I estimate there are only about 1.25 to 1.5 miles of trails. But with enough loops, it might be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment