Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bought Another Cheap Uni

I saw another unicycle on craigslist over the weekend and checked it out.
It turned out to be an older 24" learner with lollipop style bearing holders.
It was chrome but was had a fair amount of surface rust on the wheel. For some reason one of the previous owners had wrapped the majority of the frame with black hockey tape.  Maybe it's covering a bunch of rust?  The seller said he got it like that and only peeled a bit of the tape off to find the brand name, but only saw a Sponge Bob sticker.  Yay! Sponge Bob!

The road style tire looked good and the wheel was straight.  But unfortunately one of the cranks was loose, just like the unicycle I bought for Kyle a few years ago. (By the way he still hasn't shown an interest in learning)  Tightening the crank super hard on Kyle's uni seemed to work at first, but since then it's gotten loose again.  That's the problem. Once a crank and spindle get worn from not being tight enough, they might never be right.  But I figured there's a chance I could tighten it ok, and if all else fails I might be able to get the crank welded right to the spindle.  Future maintenance might be hampered or impossible, but I don't really care on a cheap old uni like this.

The craigslist post was for $35, but through email the seller accept my $25 offer before we met up.  After pointing out the loose cranks I offered $20 and the seller accepted.  So I'm satisfied with my purchase.

The seller is a mountain biker and said he got this uni used just to give it a try, but didn't stick with it.  He mentioned seeing a unicycle guy riding at a Fat Tire race.  Hey! That was me!  I'm not sure if it was the Fat Tire Festival or Fat Tire weeknight series.

No comments:

Post a Comment