Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Continued Climbing Success

This afternoon I rode again at Whiting and Webster Park.  After my success on the Red trail this weekend, I was kind of psyched up to try to ride the White trail and try to claim I can climb every hill at Whiting.

I can't recall the last time I was on the White trail.  I knew there was something of a hill on it, and that it led to Pellet road, but that's about it.

So when I headed there this afternoon it was like riding a new trail.  The trail is nothing crazy except for the single up and over hill.  Up wasn't too bad, though still challenging.  Down had a couple of switchbacks that are pretty tight.  I felt proud that I made it to Pellet Road with no dismount.  The way back was harder because those switchbacks are steep and sharp.  I was one root away from making it my first attempt, but only succeeded after 3 or 4 tries.

So I can now officially say that I've climbed every hill in Whiting!  Someday maybe I can ride every trail in both directions with no dismount.  That would be tough.

Webster Park has many trails but I tend to follow a single path through it.  There are a few challenging hill climbs going counter-clockwise, but I make them all most of the time.  Today I rode clockwise because I knew of one hill that I had never successfully climbed.

It's pretty steep and has some tricky roots. I saw three paths to try, and graded them as gold, silver, and bronze.  I failed gold a few times, and worked on silver probably about 10 times.  I was so close, but I decided it wasn't in the cards today.  I went for bronze and made it my first try.

Along the way I saw two small snakes and a small snapping turtle.  I removed the turtle from the trail and put him in some nearby water.  I also unblocked a section of trail by removing a small tree that had fallen.  I brought my folding saw in my pack because I noticed it on my last ride.

I feel like I've leveled-up in my climbing ability today.  I also had about six successful side hops up onto bridges.  These might only be about 8" high, but I was successful and consistent.

Muni at Whiting and Webster Park - 2012-08-28

No comments:

Post a Comment