Sunday, December 15, 2013

Snowshoe Running

We've had a good amount of snowfall in the past few days and temperatures continue to be below freezing.  The roads have been packed snow for days and although I've enjoyed riding them in past winters, I haven't gotten to it yet.  Every time I consider riding I've been busy with family or home, or it's been actively snowing out.

I continue to do P90X workouts, though not sticking to the workout order that P90X defines.  My other cross training winter activity is snowshoeing.  Tonight I decided to get out and do some.  Last year I got a pair of running snowshoes from the famous Jamie LissowHe learned to unicycle and got into muni after seeing me on the trails.  Unfortunately for me, his comedy career took him away to Texas, but I'm grateful that before he moved he gave me his running snowshoes.  I guess he doesn't think he'll use them in Texas!

So I went out in the dark just after 8pm and ran the perimeter of my yard.  Running in the snow is hard work, though running always seems hard for me anyway.  I did 12 laps, walking 1/4 to 1/3 of each lap.  The muscles on the side of my shins were getting worked pretty hard.  I don't usually feel that in my other workouts.

After running I decided to do a loop around the neighborhood on my 29er.  I took my hat off so I could wear my helmet and about halfway around the cold air on my sweaty head started feeling uncomfortable and I got a cold headache.  I should have worn my balaclava.  The ride was ok, a bit sketchy at times but with no dismounts.

Once I was back inside I found my breathing was very tight.  My wife suggested it was asthma and the cold air can make it worse.  For about an hour or so it felt like I had a cold, but I've since recovered.  I had asthma as a child and always wonder if I'm still affected in some way, cold air or otherwise.

Anyway, I could see myself doing some snowshoe running again.  It's a good workout to add to the mix.

Muni at Bay Park West - 2013-12-05 at EveryTrail

No comments:

Post a Comment