Friday, September 26, 2014

Silky BIGBOY 2000

In my last ride I stopped to cut fallen trees in Webster Park with my new Chainmate saw.  I found the Chainmate wasn't so great, so I researched and purchased yet another saw:  the Silky BIGBOY 2000.

It's a folding saw with a blade that over 14" long and just barely fits in my CamelBak Lobo.  I rode back to where I left off and began cutting. This saw is the best saw I've ever owned.   My first cuts felt effortless and the saw ate through the wood quickly.  I did a lot of work and by the end of my outing I was fatigued and cutting seemed more difficult, but still faster that any hand saw I've ever owned.

I made a total of 18 cuts, clearing 8 locations.  Most cuts were 8" to 12".  At one point I got my saw pinched badly and it took me 35 minutes to get it out.  I had to use my Chainmate to cut parallel to my Silky cut and kept trying to rock the log.  I learned my lesson that it really matters which side of the log you cut on!

Before and after pics:









Here's a video of my work:

There are likely more trees across trails that I don't frequent.  Maybe on my next ride I will hunt them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment