Monday, April 27, 2015

Silky BIGBOY 2000 Returns

Resting on a bridge
I rode today at Webster Park and Whiting today.  It feels like my first real muni ride of the season because there was no snow.  I rode my fat tire muni because I thought the trails still might be muddy, but they weren't.  I expected worse for this time of year.

I noticed how the fat tire tended to lead me just a bit more than I like.  It tends to pull a bit to the low side of a trail.  Until we get a lot of rain, I'll probably ride one of my regular munis next ride.

I brought my saw along, expecting the trails to need some spring cleanup and it proved useful.  I was able to clear the five downed trees I encountered.  One of them was big like a utility pole but the Silky handled it like a big boy... 2000.  Overall it worked great, just like last fall.  I noticed a few other recently cut trees, so at least one other person is helping out.

Video or it didn't happen:


Dustin had ridden recently at Whiting and mentioned a slight trail reroute in the Orange trail.  That was motivation for me to check it out after riding in Webster Park.  It's on the east side and is a short reroute that shifts the trail to the west further away from private property.  It has some ups and downs and is a great addition but needs some time to smooth out before it's really nice.

When I was just into the field area of the Orange trail I heard an air horn and yelling.  Some boys were on the other side of the field following the trail the same direction as me.  Although they were at a distance it appeared they were being goofy and trying to get my attention, perhaps trying to distract me with the hope of seeing a dismount.  That's not unheard of in the uni world.  I raised my arm up to acknowledge and heard their horn again a moment later. By the time I rounded the field they were into the woods sitting at a bench.  I said "hi" as I passed and at least one of them replied with a "hi".  They appeared to be about 12 or 13 years old.  As I pedaled away I heard one of them say "bye -bye" in a high-pitched baby-like voice in an unmistakeably condescending, mocking way.  I ignored it but then heard it a few more times at a volume obviously intended to for me to hear.  I dismounted and walked back.

There's are several things that really bother me about these kids mocking:
1.  Sometimes kids in groups act like assholes but would actually been really cool if they were alone.  They're showing off for their friends and using them as protection.
2.  At a distance people feel protected.  Hence the air horn at a distance and comments as I'm riding away, but just a "hi" when I rode right by.

When I approached them they were quiet and looked nervous.  I said something like, "Was there something you wanted to say to me?"   They just stared.  I said, "You need to learn to show some respect".  (By which I meant, to be respectful to people in general, not just to me or some guy on a unicycle.  Though I'm not sure how it came off.)  I followed with, "Who has the mouth?"  They continued to look nervous and flustered and within a few seconds two of them pointed to the one on the end and said "Jack".   hahaha
I think I said something like, "I thought so", which really didn't make much sense.  I turned around and rode off.  I didn't hear anything else from them, so that felt good.

Hopefully two of them realized that hanging out with "Jack" is gonna eventually lead to an ass beating, and Jack learned his "friends" will throw him under the bus in a second.  Nah... they probably just mocked me for the next hour after I rode away.

My one regret is not getting a picture of them for my blog.  Maybe next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment