Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dog Bite

The combination of cold and wet lately has slowed my riding down. But today it was nice enough to get out at 38°F. The usual wet spots in Whiting and Webster Park were wetter than usual. Someone leaf-blowed in Whiting but not Webster Park.

About 15 minutes into my ride I was passing a woman and her dogs going in the opposite direction. We were on the Orange trail at the field where the trail is mowed and wide. Her dogs were big dogs, a white poodle and a black... err not-poodle. I moved way over to the right as they approached, but the black dog kept getting closer. As we passed it bit my leg. It didn't hurt much, and I thought it was amusing more than anything, so I kept riding. But after a few cranks I looked down and saw it had ripped my pants. It pissed me off, so I stopped and called the woman back. We talked and she hadn't even noticed the incident. It was a quick seemingly uneventful pass. I lifted my pant leg to find it had actually broken the skin. We talked about her paying for my pants and we exchanged information. But I have since talked to her on the phone and told her it's not really a big deal and not to worry about it. I'm sure the bite will heal up fine, I can patch my pants, and I'm not a big fan of making people pay for accidental or non-malicious things like this. Besides, it made my ride somewhat eventful.
Most people don't leash their dogs in the parks, and I'm ok with that. I break/stretch some rules too... like not always dismounting when I pass and riding in Webster Park.
Oddly enough, at the start of my ride there was a dog that unsuccessfully tried to make me UPD, and later a dog kept charging me. Maybe there is something in the air?

Later in Webster Park there was a woman sitting on a bench just before a downhill. I said hello, and proceeded to the hill, dropping out of site from her. I ended up UPD'ing and running out the remainder of the hill. Frustrated, I walked back up to give it another try. I talked a minute with the woman about how the leaves make it a bit tricky sometimes. She pointed out that riding a mountain unicycle seemed tricky enough! Good point. With all the leaves down, from the bench you can actually see the uphill that comes after the downhill. I told her that after I disappear down the hill she should see me reappear and climb up and over the next hill. I succeeded in my descent and climb and as I disappeared from her site I heard her cheering and clapping loudly. I yelled back a loud "Thank you"! ;-)

Overall it was a good strong ride.
My cycle computer says I rode 12.09 miles.

Muni at Whiting and Webster Park - 2010-28-10

No comments:

Post a Comment