Saturday, June 2, 2012

Habitat Trail Work

This morning I worked at Whiting with the Friends of Webster Trails.  There were about a dozen of us.

We didn't work on the trails themselves, but on some of the surroundings.  Some people in the group are more focused on removing invasive species and maintaining habitats.

We worked on removing brush from "Clover Hill". There is currently no clover on clover hill, but instead a bunch of tall weeds and wild thorny brush.  We cut all these down and removed them.  I guess the hope is to restore this hill as a meadow.  The clover that was once there was seeded by a hunter to attract deer.  I'm not sure if the goal will be to get clover back, but it's closer to a meadow than when we showed up this morning.

After that work was done we moved to another area where Autumn Olive is growing.  It's a small tree, probably about 4 meters high and branches out from it's base.  It's an invasive species from Asia that doesn't belong, so we cut them down with pruning saws.

I don't get too excited about doing this type of work.  The actual trails is where it's at for me, but I was signed up to lead this work day, and I don't mind helping out when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment