Sunday, February 23, 2014

Canal Ride

I learned from a friend of mine that the towns of Pittsford and Fairport clear most of the snow on the section of canal path that runs through them. With the recent above freezing temperatures and rain I figured this might be a good place to ride today.

I started at Perinton Park and headed west, riding my geared 29er in high gear. Two-thirds of length of trail was packed gravel and dirt. It was very wet and had many patched of standing water along the way. Thankfully the surface below the standing water was still solid so I could ride through it without sinking into mud. Walkers had to be more creative and find alternative routes of the path. In Pittsford at Schoen Place the path becomes paved and had no standing water. Sure enough once I hit the west border of Pittsford the trail hadn't been cleared and was a frozen cratered mess. At that point I turned back.

There were a lot of people out walking, and many with dogs. It's kind of annoying to have to deal with them because they tend to take up both sides of the path, and seem oblivious. The unpredictability of dogs always makes me nervous too. I just don't want them to get in my way or pull their 50' cord leash in front of me. I had to dismount of few times for people and their dogs.

The wet trail provided enough friction to keep me working, and heading west I had a significant head wind. Of course the way back was easier. So I got something of a workout, and it was good to get out, but it wasn't particularly exciting.

I rode 17.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment