Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Fat Tire Festival Follow-Up

A short write-up of the Fat Tire Festival appeared in the "Daily Messenger" and the Victor Post.  Just like two years ago, one of the photos in the article is of me.  I guess I stood out again.

Screenshot for safe-keeping:


I had been taking Hammer Endurolytes electrolyte capsules before most rides to try to avoid cramps and post-ride headaches.  I ran out of Endurolytes and two local bike shops didn't have any.  Wanting something before the race, I settled on Nuun electrolyte tabs, lemon-lime flavored.  They dissolve in water like Alka-Seltzer.  I haven't been using anything in my CamelBak except water, but since these tabs don't have any sugar I thought it would be acceptable.

During the race I found the lemon-lime tasty, but it left me wanting nice clear water.  I also started to feel the onset of cramping in my third-lap.  So at this point I'm not convinced this product is for me.

I didn't have to pee until maybe an hour or more after the race, and it was minimal.  Maybe I wasn't drinking enough, and that's why I started to cramp.  Even with my 100oz CamelBak I get nervous about running out of water while I'm still riding.  I had some water left after the race, though not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment