Monday, September 27, 2010

Schenectady Muni Race - Fun Ride

This past weekend the family and I went to Schenectady, New York (just outside Albany) for a muni only race. The are at least four hardcore muni riders in that area, Roland, Steveyo, Perry, and Brad. Roland was the main organizer of the activities.

Amy thought it would be nice to turn it into a mini vacation for the whole family. I'm glad she's so supportive of a fairly bizarre hobby.
Traveling by car with baby Kessa is painful because she'll often begin crying 20 minutes in, which leads to blood curdling screams if she isn't pulled out of her seat. It's about a 3 1/2 or 4 hours drive, so Amy had the idea of taking a train so she could hold Kessa and take care of her needs. The ladies (Amy, Sydney, and Kessa) took the train and the men (Kyle and I) drove. It worked out well. Our departure and arrival times matched closely so no one was waiting around too long. We traveled on Friday and stayed at La Quinta Inn in Latham.

Saturday we chilled out at the indoor pool and in the evening we went to a planned muni fun ride at the Albany Pine Bush Preserve.

Kai, Steveyo, Mark, Roland, Perry, Brad, me, and Sydney.


Sydney helped tear up the parking lot. The guys were impressed with her skills at age 6.

I had the opportunity to ride a 29er and a 36er, but only in the parking lot. The 29er felt cool. Maybe I can borrow Mj's and ride some local trails sometime. The 36er was bit much. I couldn't free mount but Roland gave be a hand.



The fun ride was cool because we weren't in a big hurry. When there was a feature worth trying over and over, we did just that. The trails had a good number of logs and log piles to get over. And some nice short steep hills to challenge us. But I tried to be careful not to over do it before the race on Sunday.

Above photo by Perry

I used my GoPro camera to capture some of the ride. Unfortunately my battery wasn't fully charged and I didn't get it all. Hopefully I'll be editing that footage in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment