Monday, September 7, 2009

Whiting Road Nature Preserve

This morning I took the whole family to the Whiting Road Nature Preserve. Of course, I road my uni, and everyone else had their bikes. We stuck together for a while, but then split up because of our different speeds and skill levels.

Here's picture of me and the kids. I look kind of funny with my "lumbar pack" strapped over my shirt, but that's how I roll.

The trails form loops and are color coded. Here's a map. At all the trail intersections there are signs for each trail, and many have a overall map sign too.

The Blue trail was easy with occasional roots and a few gradual hills. There were a good number of hills I could not ride on the Orange trail. And the Red trail had even bigger hills and many more roots and obstacles. There were wooden bridges here and there too. Some had pretty big bumps or even a step up and down. I guess I'll have to keep practicing my hopping so I don't have to dismount for these.

We saw a good number of people walking the trails. Come to think of it, I think I only saw one other bike.

I feel like I improved some more today. Towards the end of the ride I was able to climb more hills, descend hills, and get over more roots and rocks.

I'm going to go back there again soon, although I'll probably just stick to the Blue and Orange trails until I can climb every hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment