Sunday, May 27, 2012

2012 Fat Tire Festival Test Run

The Fat Tire Festival is in July and I have registered in the Sport class.  This means I'll be doing three laps instead of last year's one.

Today I rode at Dryer Road Park, following the Fat Tire Festival course, which looks to be the same as last year.  My goal was to do three laps to make sure I'll be able to do it.  And I did it!

On my second lap I started to feel some lower back fatigue.  On my third lap I was definitely getting significantly tired, making more mistakes, and finding it hard to navigate cleanly.  I started to feel some cramping in my left "Vastis Medialis" when I was climbing significant hills.  When it starts to feel on the verge of exploding, I stop for fear of having a debilitating cramp like I've experienced in the past.

I ate an energy gel at the start of laps two and three, but I guess it wasn't enough.  Or maybe I didn't have enough water, though I drank all that I brought, finishing it as I was just starting to drive home.  I have a 3 liter CamelBak but I don't think I fill it anywhere close to that capacity.  I use a 12oz. cup to fill it, and after 4 of these, the CamelBak looks like it's getting close to capacity.  But that would be 48oz. which is 1.4 liters, far from 3.  I guess I'll be experimenting with trying to fit more.

On a side note, I just bought a new bladder for my CamelBak.  I bleached my old one and must have used too much bleach because it became discolored.  I was a little worried the plastic was damaged and might hurt me.  The new reservoir has been updated with some cool features too.

On my second lap I successfully climbed Elevator!  This is another hill climbing first for me.  I was hoping to repeat it on my third lap but my leg cramp prevented that attempt.

My GPS said my three laps totaled 9.8 miles, but my cycle computer was over 11.  With all the twists and turns at Dryer, it makes sense the GPS would cut corners.
It took me 2 hours 10 minutes.  Looking at last year's results (remember these are mountain bikers), that would put me dead last in Sport, but finishing ahead of a few Experts who do five laps.  So at least everyone wouldn't be waiting for me to finish.

Dryer Road Park - 2012-05-27

No comments:

Post a Comment