Saturday, August 14, 2010

Whiting 2010-08-14

I rode at Whiting this morning. I thought I might have ridden about 13 miles, because I kept pushing myself to keep going. But it looks like I was just shy of 11. Still my longest ride!
I did well. I got totally through the Yellow trail 2 out of 3 times with no dismounts. And other trails just keep getting easier. There's a section on my way to the Midnight trail that I'm getting very close to riding successfully. And on the way back too, thought there's a steep hill I can't imagine climbing, just descending. I remember, maybe 6 months ago, wondering if even a rider like Kris Holm could make it through this section. It's rooty and hilly. But now I can almost see myself doing it! Or course, KH would probably breeze through it.
I rode the south segment of the Red trail that cuts across the Orange. Usually when I'm on the Orange, I want to finish that trail completely, and it wasn't until recently that I looked at the map and saw this section of the Red doesn't commit me to riding the entire Red. It hits the Orange trail twice. Unfortunately this segment is no good. It like riding through a mowed field. No dirt and few trees.
I also found an alternative way of coming back from the Midnight Trail. Just outside the Midnight loop, there's a fork in the trail, with one way leading further into Webster Park. I never take that way because Webster Park is a huge maze of trails and I don't want to get sidetracked. But today I found if I take that and take the next trail that would logically get me back, it actually works out well. And there's a skinny bridge and a challenging rooty hill. It's one of my new favorite challenges.

Muni at Whiting - 2010-08-14

No comments:

Post a Comment